HERE IS A VENICE DISCOVERY WORTH LEARNING ABOUT
This week I took my friend Jim, who is very much so "on the program" to Gjusta, one of my favorite eating spots here in Venice. Whilst trying to distract myself from the chocolate croissants, staring at me from the treat cabinet, I laid eyes on a sultry looking stack of chopped chicken livers, tossed with all kinds of herbs and oils. Given my fascination with organ meats, we decided to take a small sample to taste and were greeted with a buttery deliciousness, which also delivers a real nutritional punch. It was also really cheap, which is why I recon, if you live in Venice, you should throw away your synthetic vitamins and get on this stuff at least once a week.
If you don't know this already, liver contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food. Taken from the Western A. Price Association's website liver provides:
- An excellent source of high-quality protein
- Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant responsible for controlling inflammation and slowing down the aging process.
- All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12
- One of our best sources of folic acid
- A highly usable form of iron
- Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
- An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
- CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
- A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.
So if you are feeling like you could use a solid does of nutrition, or if it's that certain time of the month, give this stuff a go and enjoy the superfood that they won't put it in your Erewhon Smoothie.